Back Surgery Options in Oviedo and Winter Springs
Are you contemplating back surgery?
Back pain that is either local to the back or radiates to the arms or legs can get so painful that patients feel like there is no other option besides surgery. At Synergy, we have evaluated over 15,000 patients since 2001 with many of them suffering from intense back or neck pain. We may be able to help you avoid back surgery. Every case is unique and needs to be specifically evaluated on a case by case basis however here are a few guides:
- Be aggressive with conservative care first!Chiropractic care may provide conservative care and has been shown to be highly effective for the treatment of back and neck pain. Also, some chiropractors have alternative and innovative treatment modalities we offer like Spinal Decompression Therapy and Spinal Rehab Physical Therapy that other chiropractors do not offer. Click here to read 12 reasons people choose us.
- Realize that even Over the Counter pain (OTC) medication poses health risks. OTCs have been shown to possibly cause liver, stomach, or kidney problems.
- Stronger prescription pain drugs can be so powerful that can cause brain fog making it hard to think clearly at work. Also they may tell the brain the “problem” is not there now allowing you the possibility to cause more damage since you don’t “feel it.” There is also a large pain medication addiction problem.
- Epidurals are often suggested after a course of oral steroids are administered. They can provide significant fast relief, but often fail to correct the underlying problems like disc herniation, disc bulge, annular tear, or disc protrusion. Additionally, epidurals can only be given to a patient three times a year because of their effect on the body. We offer alternatives to epidurals..
- Back Surgery, although potentially necessary in severe cases, often can fail resulting in temporary pain relief or the need for repeat surgeries. There is a condition called Failed Back Surgery Syndrome.
What is Failed Back Surgery Syndrome?
Failed Back Surgery Syndrome refers to the continuation of pain or numbness that persists following a spinal surgery such as a discectomy, laminectomy, or fusion. The literature suggests that failed back surgery occurs in an astounding 10% to 40%. From a biomechanical perspective, when the spinal structures are surgically altered, this inherently changes the joint biomechanics and can often put increased abnormal stress on the areas above or below which can lead to subsequent disc damage, new pain, or more surgery.
But, my doctor told me I need surgery…
No one likes to hear that they need surgery. The doctors at Synergy can work with your Primary Doctor or Orthopedic Surgeon to provide a trial of conservative care FIRST in an effort to ward off the need for surgery. Many orthopedic and neurosurgeons agree that exhausting other treatment methods may be a good choice before undergoing the knife. If we find that your case is unresponsive to care after a trial of care, then we can refer you either directly to an Orthopedic or Neurosurgeon or your Primary Doctor.
We offer a Free MRI Review Consultation.
Most patients who are considering back or neck surgery have had special diagnostic testing such as MRI of the lumbar or cervical spine. If you didn’t go to medical school, the terms can be scary and foreign. What is a disc herniation? What is the difference between a disc bulge or a protrusion? What is IVF encroachment? Where does the L4/5 nerve root go to? Why do I have the leg or arm numbness or pain and they tested my spine? Where is the problem on my films? What does it look like on a spinal model? How can this be treated? The list goes on and on…
Our caring doctors and team will help provide you greater clarity and understanding. We understand and appreciate your concerns and are here to help. Please call the Synergy office to schedule a no charge new patient MRI consultation to get some more answers or a second opinion.
Spinal Decompression Relief from Oviedo Chiropractor
Oviedo spinal decompression therapy is an alternative to pain medications, epidurals, and spine surgery. Instead of facing the complications and risks of these procedures, Dr. Janowitz recommends non-surgical spinal decompression therapy. This can be especially effective in the treatment of lower back pain,, sciatica, herniated discs, ruptured and bulging discs, and spinal stenosis. CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT SPINAL DECOMPRESSION.
At Synergy Oviedo Chiropractic, we use the Kennedy Decompression Therapysystem for non-surgical spinal decompression. This system is a sophisticated computerized traction system and is cutting-edge technology. Using a decompression table allows our chiropractor to apply a traction force in a series of decompressing and relaxing cycles to the discs in the spine, thereby reducing pressure and alleviating pain. This non-invasive therapy offers a great success rate, especially when combined with corrective spinal manipulations, chiropractic care and physical rehabilitation therapies. Additionally, non-surgical spinal decompression is non-invasive and works to correct the underlying problem causing pain so relief is long lasting.
Call us at 407-505-4320 to learn more.